Wednesday 15 January 2014

AN ostrich is on the run this morning after it was spotted speeding past stationary cars.

Ostrich on the run! Bird spotted speeding down country lane
Baffled onlookers stopped their vehicles to avoid hurting the confused animal.
And local jokers have launched a Twitter named after the bird called TWellsOstrich.
A witness from Rusthall told the Kent Courier: “There was a queue of about 15 to 20 cars pulled over and I assumed it was a lorry coming down. I noticed a couple of people getting out of their cars and others leaning out of their windows and taking pictures.
“Then I saw this young perky ostrich confidently gambolling down the road, with its funny gait. It came right up to our window and looked at us but I only managed to get the first shot on my phone. I think someone was on the phone calling an animal sanctuary or something.”
The witness said the ostrich is thought to have been roaming the area since December.
It was spotted between Rusthall and Speldhurs at around 8.30am.
Many of those travelling were on their way to a local school.
Rosie Lester from Sevenoaks, who saw the ostrich about an hour later, also said: "I was driving down Rusthall Lane in Tunbridge wells at around 8.40am and saw an animal hurtling towards me.
"My first thought was it must be a deer, but it didn't take me long to realise it was a small ostrich. The poor thing looked terrified and drenched as it galloped past my car but I was lucky to get a good look at it. The least I can say is I spent the rest of my drive to work with my jaw dropped and gutted I couldn't get a picture."
Adult ostriches can run up to 60mph and grow to more than 9ft-tall, but this youngster is just over 2ft-tall, but can still run at more than 40mph, according to locals.
The police and local council have been notified.